Rockin the Rockies

Rockin the Rockies
Rock Hounding

Monday, April 2, 2012

Rockhounding with my nephew Matt



Mathew was on spring break and his parents wanted him out of the house and away from video games so Mathew got to spend a day with his uncle.  We arrived at Lake George CO around 10am and first did some 4-wheeling.  Then we hiked to one of my old digs to make sure we found something for Matt to take home.  I did some digging in a mineral dump and opened up the pegmatite (rock bearing crystal) to see what I could find.  I tried to give Matt some nice specimens but he only wanted to take stuff home that he found.  I don't think he realized he was digging through one of my old digs, but he did find some things which he believed he discovered and was happy to take home.  After about an hour he was bored so we hiked out, did some more 4-wheel driving and headed home.

Pale Amazonite with smoky quartz
Matt is ready to go prospecting at Lake George
Fresh out of the ground crystal group
A view looking down into the pegmatite and diurite










Looks like boredom is setting in, time to go 4-wheeling




No comments:

Post a Comment