Rockin the Rockies

Rockin the Rockies
Rock Hounding

Tuesday, November 15, 2022

The Blues and Moose on the Loose in July

 

Highlight of this month was some moose at Lake George, not crystals

The month of July was warm.  I took 2 weeks off rock hounding as it was just too hot.  I was following some fairly good colored amazonite crystals in a pegmatite seam that ran up the hill.  I followed float along the seam until I got to an old dig.  Nothing about the old dig looked right to me. There was just not enough host rock to support a pocket. As soon as I dug above the old pocket the float disappeared. I backed up my digging and found little.  Tried again above the pocket and refound the seam of small pieces of amazonite about 3 feet down.  I followed this seam for about 15 feet until it finally petered out with little to show for my efforts.  Teaser pieces kept me looking, but finally sanity prevailed, and I decided to look elsewhere.  I always spend more effort when I am following better colored amazonite, probably spent more time here than I should have.  I meandered back to an area where I found some goethite in a prior year. I spent much of the month of August digging quartz from that spot and found a few interesting specimens (see next post).

See below for picture of the July dig.  It is hard for me to quit on float amazonite when the color is so blue. 

No pocket, just single crystals




No comments:

Post a Comment